Pavlova is a meringue-based dessert named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. It has a crisp crust and soft, light inside, usually topped with fruit and whipped cream, Mine being topped with lemon curd, meringue shards, crumb and whipped cream.
This a recipe inspired by the chef Nigella Lawson but given a few touches
- 4 egg whites
- 240gms castor sugar
- 1tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 zest of lemon
- Meringue Shards
- 2 egg whites
- 90gms sugar
- Lemon Curd
- 4 egg yolks
- 134gms sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 80ml(1/3 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 86g(6 tbsp.) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- Lemon Crumb
- 90gms flour
- 40gms sugar
- 05gms lemon juice
- 30gms cold butter cubed
- Extra Ingredients
- Whipped Cream
Heat your oven to 180 degree Celsius
- Pavlova:- In a bowl add 4 egg whites, lemon zest and vinegar together beat until soft peaks, slowly add in the sugar beating till a hard peak. using a spoon dollop the meringue mixture onto a lined baking tray leaving a small dip in the center for the filling.
- Meringue Shards:- In a bowl add 2 egg whites and beat until soft peaks add in the sugar slowly until hard peak smooth onto a lined baking tray in a thin layer.
- Bake the pavlova and meringue shards at 90 degree reducing the oven temperature after closing the door of the oven. Bake the meringue shards for 45 minutes and meringues for 90 minutes until the outside is crispy.
- Lemon Curd:- Oven a double boiler heat together the egg yolk, sugar, lemon zest and juice until a thick custard like consistency, slowly add in the butter until melted. Remove off heat and cover with food safe plastic, touching the custard so a skin doesn’t form. Allow to cool.
- Lemon Crumb:- In a small bowl mix together flour, sugar, lemon juice and butter and mix with hands until a breadcrumb like texture forms. Bake in the oven at 180 till a golden brown color approx. 15-20 minutes.
- Place the crumb in the center of the plate
- Place the baked and cooled pavlova on top of the crumb
- Add about 3-4 tbsps. of lemon curd in the center dip
- Top with blueberries whipped cream, meringue shards and fresh mint.